Saturday, October 18, 2014

Tillie the House Mouse ... Another WIP



Inspiration is sometimes overwhelming when things start channeling into your head and the urge to jump from one project to another sets you whirling.  I am loving this time of the year but it is like a double-edged sword because there just doesn't seem to be enough time to hop from one creation to another and be effective.

I am sure that you as a doll artist or artist of any kind have found that it is hard to predict the demands of the market.  I have stopped trying to do that dance and decided long ago to just do what I love and let it go at that.  I definitely don't want to go into mass production with my art pieces.  It would drive me crazy, first of all, and, for me the creative inspiration would quickly wither and die.

As I am putting the finishing touches on my second set of Halloween mini rod puppets, I set them aside for just a minute to design a little Halloween character that has been in the back of my mind for years.  Mice were such popular collectibles in the 1970's and I just never was able to start my collection.  Well, now I decided to design a little mouse for Halloween and dress her like a witch and give her a home in an old, patched up witch's sock.  I began designing her this morning and the prototype is on the design table in a mock-up of the sock design.  By tomorrow she will be done and I will clean up the design and prepare a few for the two shops where I put my babies up for "adoption."

Here is a picture of the prototype ... hat needs some work and she is sitting in a muslin copy of the sock design ... better pictures will be released when I have tweaked her to my satisfaction but I thought you might like to see some of the early 
design process ...
Tillie the Witchy House Mouse


Well, back to the studio to finish up the project before bedtime.

Huggity-Hugs!
Carlin


No comments:

Post a Comment