Thursday, April 7, 2011

One Wedding Anniversary to Remember - Part I

Punch & Judy


Punch and Judy are one of the most beloved and oldest married couples known down through history.  I won't bore you with all the details of their marriage [nothing, of course, like my sister's], but they have been around squabbling and interacting in their relationship since the late 14th century and perhaps even earlier.  That's about the longest ongoing relationship I have ever been familiar with and I love the two characters almost as much as I love puppets and a rollicking puppet show.

So in honor of my sister and brother-in-law's 40th wedding anniversary, I decided to recreate my beloved puppet characters with a caricature of both my b-i-law and sister portrayed as the two characters in a miniaturized rendition of P&J and boxed in a wooden presentation box to look like the Victorian version of the Punch & Judy stage (see photo above).  This piece will be able to be hung on the wall or allowed to sit upright on a mantle-piece or to rest on a coffee table.  The puppets will be miniature rod puppets with tiny wire rods to control the arms.  They will be attached inside the box when it is on display or detached so the puppets can be removed for some fun action.

So now you know "what" I am going to give and "why."  In the next post, I will begin revealing just "how" I plan to execute this project in some wip posts.

So.....until next post ....

Carlin

No comments:

Post a Comment